In a statement, Virgin Australia said the Hong Kong market “has remained challenging for the airline and demand has continued to decline following ongoing civil unrest… these factors, combined with growing uncertainty around the recent coronavirus outbreak, have led to the decision to cease operating services”.
Virgin Australia previously announced the suspension of its Melbourne-Hong Kong services in November 2019, effective from February 11, 2020, and the Sydney-Hong Kong service will cease operating from March 2, 2020.
“Hong Kong has continued to be a challenging market,” said Virgin Australia Group Chief Commercial Officer, John MacLeod. “With a decline in demand following ongoing civil unrest, and growing concerns over the coronavirus outbreak in the wider region, we have made the decision to withdraw services.
Virgin Australia’s popular ‘Economy X’ product
“While the decision to withdraw from the Hong Kong market has been a difficult one, it demonstrates our strong focus on driving greater financial discipline through our network.
“Current circumstances demonstrate that Hong Kong is no longer a commercially viable route for Virgin Australia to continue operating, however international tourism remains an important part of our strategy through our other international routes and partner airlines,” MacLeod said.
The airline said guests booked to travel on services between Sydney and Hong Kong from 2 March 2020 onwards, will be contacted by Virgin Australia via email, or by their travel provider to provide alternative arrangements.